In 2017, PCMF is implementing an extensive Community Engagement Initiative that will take our musicians into homeless shelters, retirement homes, and other community venues in the East Bay. This year's schedule of free concerts:
- Thursday, July 27 at St. Mary's Center, which provides essential services to homeless and at-risk seniors and provides schooling to preschoolers living in poverty.
- Thursday, July 27 at St. Paul's Towers, a senior living community.
- Friday, July 28 at The Lake Merritt, a senior living community.
- Friday, July 28 at Cityteam Oakland, which addresses the needs of people struggling with poverty, homelessness, and addiction. Programs include homeless shelter, addiction recovery help, and women's programs.
- Saturday, July 29 (3-4pm) at Oakland Asian Cultural Center, which builds vibrant communities through Asian and Pacific Islander arts and cultural programs that foster intergenerational and cross-cultural dialogue and understanding, collaboration, and social justice. This community concert is open to the public.
In addition, every year, PCMF presents a concert that introduces our youngest listeners to the world of chamber music - a world of wondrous sounds, vivid imagination, and interactive play. Details of this year's concert:
- Sunday, July 30 (4-4:50pm): The annual PCMF children's concert.
Check out these amazing photos from our 2016 show: A Young Person's Guide to Chamber Music! Our audience learned why a string quartet is like a basketball team, where the sound of a cello comes from, and how a clarinetist can play for 4 minutes without taking a breath!
Photos: Tina Tallon